Re: Enabling Chinese installation support in boot floppies

On 29 Jan 2001, zhaoway wrote:
> > It works like this: two options, simplified Chinese and traditional
> > Chinese, will be presented to the user in the language chooser.  Both
> > options are labelled 'zh' instead of 'zh_CN' and 'zh_TW', as encodings
> > need not reflect the actual locale to be used.  Then, in the next
> > "Choose Language Variant" menu, the user can select the keyboard map
> > and the actual locale to be used.
>
> I don't know. But wouldn't these two same ``zh'' be confusing to
> users?

Nah, they are both "Zhongwen" afterall.  :-)  It is just that the users
get to choose between Fanti or Jianti in the next menu, not on the top
menu.  :-)

BTW, thanks for the patch, Chuan-kai!  It looks nice!  I haven't looked at
it in detail, but it looks nice.  :-)

What I am hoping, if possible, and if not too much trouble to maintain, is
to use "zh.po.in" as the source file, whereas zh_CN.po and zh_TW.po will
be generated from zh.po.in with the help of zh-autoconvert, Perl scripts
like tocn.pl and totw.pl, and slice, very much like the Debian Chinese web
pages.  :-)

Speaking of which, BTW, hashao, if you have time, could you prepare
the current translations in one tarball, like the trans.b5.tar.gz you sent
me last time?  Thanks.  :-)

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada