Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

On 22 Jan 2001, zhaoway wrote:

> rigel <rigel863@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > You are wrong. First of all, we'll not have "a hack on X server", rather
> > a proper implementation of GB18030 support! Second, a X client (GNOME, Xterm,
> > or whatever) will either support no locale at all (if not using X i18n apis),
> > or support all locales (if using X i18n apis). Clients do not have to know
> > anything about any specific locale. All the works are done on server side.
> > As for glibc, it has had gb18030 support since last July.
>
> It's not just locale. Say, if I want read Chinese and Japanese at the
> same time on the same XTerm, UTF-8 will do it, GB18030 won't. Glibc
> can of course even support GB2312, but if XTerm use GB2312 locale, it
> won't be able to read Japanese (whatever encoding) then. So you will
> have to use UTF-8. Then Gb18030 has quirk.
 GB18030 of course can do it! I can edit Chinese, Japanese, Korean,
Russian and many other language in a gedit window with GB18030 locale!

> > > on our own, which is miserable. 8-P Like all that FontSet hacks again
> > > which is even a disaster in UI design. (Think that to ask users to
> > > choose a FontSet in a dialog.)
> >
> > ugh? Fontset is the state of art of X i18n. If using fontset in UI is a
> > "disaster", I wonder what do you use for a i18n-ized X application?
>
> Oh, man, FontSet is cool, but even cooler is UTF-8 locale and iso10646
> fonts. FontSet can, cough, _not_ support GB2312 and Big5 in the same
> IRC window. If XChat use UTF-8, and we all use UTF-8, then we can
> (people from HK, TW, CN) chat at the same time in #debian-zh. Man,
> it's not locale here that matters. It's the distinction of characters
> here I'm talking about.

  I use ISO10646-1 font under GB18030 locale, but the problem is, there
are very few complete ISO10646-1 font available. We should use fontset
instead of a incomplete ISO10646-1 font for a UTF-8 locale either.
  And not all of us can use UTF-8 locale on there system.