Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 04:00:29PM +0800, zhaoway wrote:

> Oh, what do you mean by ``variant''? UTF-8 is 1-1 to UTF-16 (just say
> so, 8-) while GB18030 isn't.

Of course it is 1-1! Beyone BMP, you can even mathematicaly convert gb18030
code to unicode.

> That is a big problem, and you cannot expect a hack on X server to
> help much. All other programs (GNOME, Glibc, Xterm, what ever are
> moving to UTF-8 and won't know GB18030 indeed.) So, again, we will be

You are wrong. First of all, we'll not have "a hack on X server", rather
a proper implementation of GB18030 support! Second, a X client (GNOME, Xterm,
or whatever) will either support no locale at all (if not using X i18n apis),
or support all locales (if using X i18n apis). Clients do not have to know
anything about any specific locale. All the works are done on server side.
As for glibc, it has had gb18030 support since last July.

> on our own, which is miserable. 8-P Like all that FontSet hacks again
> which is even a disaster in UI design. (Think that to ask users to
> choose a FontSet in a dialog.)

ugh? Fontset is the state of art of X i18n. If using fontset in UI is a
"disaster", I wonder what do you use for a i18n-ized X application?

regards,
rigel