Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

<suzhe@gnuchina.org> writes:

> The commerical GB18030 font is available now. But I use ISO10646-1
> font instead. Because the GB18030 is indeed a variant of Unicode,
> like UTF-8.

I guess GB18030 font isn't a big deal here. Think that X now get an
encoding layer to recode fonts, and GB18030 is GB2312 compatible. Hmm,
will a GB18030 mapping to ??? solve this problem?

So again, GB18030 is in a weird position wrt Unicode, ... otherwise a
simple GB18030<->Unicode mapping will solve it all in all.

Oh, what do you mean by ``variant''? UTF-8 is 1-1 to UTF-16 (just say
so, 8-) while GB18030 isn't.

> And I think GB18030 is very important for Chinese users because of
> compatible reason.

That is a big problem, and you cannot expect a hack on X server to
help much. All other programs (GNOME, Glibc, Xterm, what ever are
moving to UTF-8 and won't know GB18030 indeed.) So, again, we will be
on our own, which is miserable. 8-P Like all that FontSet hacks again
which is even a disaster in UI design. (Think that to ask users to
choose a FontSet in a dialog.)

_And_, where's the compatibility problem if we _can_ still use GB2312?

--
zhaoway