Re: locale-zh

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 09:01:33AM +0800, thhsieh@linux.org.tw wrote:

> locale setting. Which means, what we set under the LC_CTYPE environment
> variable will be returned by the setlocale() exactly. This is crucial
> since currently many locale related programs still have a bug to relay
> on the return of setlocale() call. So this change should work around on
> them.

Really? One big program I know depends on setlocale() is X. Ironically,
before this change Big5 locale works fine out of box in RH7. Now one has to
modify X to make it working. I'm not sure this change is a good move. It
only gives users an illusion. It makes the return value of setlocale() even
more unreliable and user-dependent. Though it's not a big deal.

> Secondly for XF86-4.0.1. It has a small problem. The copy shipped with
> RedHat-7.0 does not contained any "zh_TW.B(b)ig5" XLC_LOCALE data, so

Are you sure? My RedHat-7.0 installs a zh_TW.big5 XLC_LOCALE.

> 	2. add the following lines into locale.dir:
>
> 	   zh_TW.Big5/XLC_LOCALE	zh_TW.Big5
> 	   zh_TW.Big5/XLC_LOCALE	zh_TW.big5
> 	   zh_TW.Big5/XLC_LOCALE	zh_TW

It is my understanding that the convention for locale naming in X is that
the names always contain charset part. The short names (without charset) are
only used for alias. I'm not sure this is actually a stated rule though.

The latest locale.dir in X CVS looks like this:

zh/XLC_LOCALE:          zh_CN.eucCN
zh/XLC_LOCALE:          zh_CN.GB2312
zh_TW.big5/XLC_LOCALE:  zh_TW.big5
zh_TW.big5/XLC_LOCALE:  zh_TW.Big5
zh_TW.cns11643/XLC_LOCALE:      zh_TW.eucTW

I strongly suggest CLE add zh_CN.GB2312, otherwise xcin will have problem
working under GB2312 locale.

The latest locale.alias in X CVS looks like this:

zh:                                             zh_CN.eucCN
zh_CN:                                          zh_CN.eucCN
zh_CN.big5:                                     zh_TW.big5
zh_CN.EUC:                                      zh_CN.eucCN
zh_CN.euc:                                      zh_CN.eucCN
zh_CN.gb2312:                                   zh_CN.eucCN
zh_TW:                                          zh_TW.big5
zh_TW.EUC:                                      zh_TW.eucTW
zh_TW.euc:                                      zh_TW.eucTW
zh_TW.big5:                                     zh_TW.big5

It looks like that there are still few aliases need to work out.

Regards,
rigel