basic stuff

Hi, I hope you don't mind a total newbie set of questions on this list.
I'm relatively new to both linux and Chinese, and I would like to know where I can find the most basic information of how to perfrom Chinese operations under debian.  I'm running potato currently, and my wish list is the following:

1. I would like to be able to read and compose email in Chinese characters (traditional and simplified).

2. I would like to be able to read and compose files in Chinese characters (using emacs and some kind of word processing or type setting program -- I notice there is something for Latex, and I was wondering if this worked for Lyx, and I was also wondering if Abiword could be used to write a paper, for instance with Chinese and English text).

3. I would like to be able to view and create webpages with Chiese characters which are not images.

I know these are really basic, and if you know where I can find the info myself, I would be extremely grateful for that, or for any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

--Andrew