Re[2]: unable to read Chinese mail in mutt

Hello Roger,

On Wednesday, October 04, 2000, Roger So wrote:

RS> On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 05:11:29PM +0800, James Power wrote:
>> hi all,
>> i run mutt 1.2.5 from within cxterm here(my distro is woody) and all
>> the chinese chars in the incoming mails appeared as question marks.
>> How do u solve this problem ?
>>
>> my LC_CTYPE is set to zh_CN.GB2312, and i have following lines in my
>> .muttrc:
>>
>> charsethook gb2312 GB2312
>> charsethook x-unknown GB2312
>>
>> btw, i can send chinese mail without problem, well, except that cannot
>> use chinese in mail subject...

RS> This is a known problem - see Bug #73050:
RS>         http://bugs.debian.org/73050

Actually for glibc 2.1.x, locale handle is buggie and zh_CN.GB2312
locale definition did not cope with the bug. You might want to upgrade
your Chinese locale package from woody. Anthony Fok should have added
a work around for this in the Chinese locale package. If you don't
want to upgrade, you might just use zh_CN.GBK which should be okey
with mutt.

mutt's "--enable-locales-fix" should fix this too but in case you
don't want to recompile mutt.

--
Best regards,
 hashao                            mailto:hashao@china.com.n.s.pam