Adding new theme for Gnome

Hi all,

I have already downloaded some theme from Internet,
but I couldn't
install the new theme to Gnome. After downloading,
theme is in
theme_abc.tar.gz format. I could uncompress those
files out by tar and
gzip from the theme_abc.tar.gz, that means the file is
completely
downloaded. But when I install it with the gnome
control center, it
shows nothing. The theme selector didn't show the new
theme out on the
available themes list after I choose the
theme_abc.tar.gz to install.
Anybody know why?

I am using xfree86 4.1.0 with Window Maker under
Debian 3.0.
thx

Best Regards,

Derek