Re: [exim] 設定問題!

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 08:48:24AM +0800, ha shao wrote:
> On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 11:10:19PM +0800, edt1023@ms17.hinet.net wrote:
> > On Sun, May 20, 2001, you wrote:
> >
> >   ssmtp still sending mail via local smtp. ssmtp has rewite function
> >   just as exim does, but some mail server(such as ttf2pt1 mailing list
> >   cannot accept dialup user to send such a email).
> >
> >   but nullmailer send email via ISP's smtp, thay's exactly what I need.
> >

> I did not follow the discussion closely but isn't it's the 'smarthost'
> thing in sendmail or 'relayhost' in postfix? I would think exim should

I'm not familiar with postfix, but the DS (smart relay) in sendmail
sucks anyway. It will check for MX RR for the host you specified. For
example, my ISP told me I should use msa.hinet.net as my smtp
server. But what the hell is `host -t mx msa.hinet.net`? I finally
would get a "Relaying denied" by msa0.hinet.net. That's quite
disappointing.

> have similar function: send mail through your ISP instead directly to
> the destination.
>
> I have not installed ssmtp cause it wanted to replace my postfix :). But
> isn't the mailhub supposed to be your ISP's smtp server?
>
> anyway, since it conflicts mail-transport-agent, it might not be
> what you want. You want to keep your exim, don't you? ;)

Heh, well, I'm not advocating anything. But, if I only need merely a
"Desktop", why should I have giants like sendmail/postfix/exim? They
should be removed anyway. Mail server is the job of my ISP, not my
own.

BTW, nullmailer is also a MTA. It simply pipes your email to another
smtp server.

My 2 cents.

Regards,
Clive