Re: Is there a de facto standard Chinese PostScript font name?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 03:34:50PM +0800, Cosmos wrote:

> 	I have make a demo for this, using FreeType.
>
> 	http://www.cis.nctu.edu.tw/~gis88564/test.ps

That's exactly what I meant. Look your file. It maybe trivia to you, but
it's highly unlikely an average programmer capable of embedding such
thing in his/her application. So I still think providing some API is a better
idea. Type 3 font is occasionally needed for maximum portability. By providing
an API, applications are not limited to only use arphic font. Frankly, arphic
fonts are not enough for publishing purpose and we can not legally convert
and distribute other fonts.

> 	With correct configuration, we can use a Type3 as gs provided.
>
> 	Within ps file, we can just write as above.
>
> /KaiSu-Regular findfont 24 scalefont setfont
> 100 440 moveto
> (ÓÀabcdfÁú) show

Theoretically you can still call it Type3 fonts, but it has defied its own
purpose. Type3 fonts should be embedded into the documentation for the maximum
flexibility. If i have to depend gs to use these fonts, I'd rather use
truetype font directly.

BTW, have you compare the size of embedded bitmap and vetorial fonts? My
guess is that the latter is significantly bigger. If that's the case, I'm
not sure the trade off is worth it.

Regards,
rigel