[Fwd: gdm ªº language menu]

--- Begin Message ---
Correct me if I'm wrong.. cuz I'm not sure either but
locale.gen if for your system existing locale. which general the system locale
message and all those good stuff in /usr/lib/locale/yourstuff
e.g /usr/share/i18n/charmap + /usr/share/i18n/locale/ -> /usr/lib/locale/stuff
so..that is shell stuff ( this part I'm not sure ) and the program get string
base on gettext from libc and your enviroment veriable
e.g. LC_MESSAGES="locale"

then you get into X where they get another alias to display the locale right
/usr/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias
which is for the app in X to display for the relative locale same way upthere
and they should get the similar format. OK back to the main question.
alias is good for some text get more then one kind of encoding, one may be a
sub-set of another. Then i think the alias come into place just kind of bind
them together using one locale which different alias. And it also point
everything to the right directory.
then again .. should gdm ( I never use it..sorry ) use the alias, I think so.
One think i know is it get the gettext mo file in
/usr/share/locale/zh_TW.Big5/LC_MESSAGES/gdm.mo
so... with the alias I think you get to see chinese with only zh_TW in your
LC_MESSAGES export. I'm not sure about this.. so... please point out my mistake.
But one think I know without the alias in X, even you get the mo file and the
locale supported.. it will stop and warn you say your system is not support
zh_HK.Big5HKSCS.. (i'm using that. ) I have to add alias myself.
Alex