Re: locale-zh

: > Taking this benefit, the CLE developer tends to not change the locale
: > installing name any more for zh_TW locale. That is, our locale name
: > will be installed as
: >
: >       /usr/lib/locale/zh_TW/          (zh_TW locale data + BIG5 charmap)
: >
: > This is also the current glibc default.
:
: If it works with zh_TW.Big5, then I see no reason to make symlinks or
: add entries to locale.alias too.

Yes, in theory we don't need the entries in locale.alias.

: >       xc/extras/X-TrueType/BIG5/
: >
: > This table is based on the old BIG5_1984 standard, but now in glibc-2.2
: > the BIG5 charmap is based on the BIG5 cp950 standard and some improvements.
: > So my personal opinion is to fix this such that they are exactly the same.
: > I think it should be very easy to create the table for XF86 from glibc-2.2
: > BIG5 charmap via simple perl script. If you need help, I could do that and
: > send the patch to you.
:
: If the format is the same as that used by the old xfs-xtt, then it should
: be easy :p
:
: How about the table in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large?  Does it have
: problems too?

I have just took a look at it, and I am sure that it is also based
on the old BIG5_1984 standard. So I think it should be fixed.

My opinion is: we could try to unify the character set standard
(including the mapping to Unicode) as much as possible. I propose
to maintain only one charmap, say, the charmap in glibc-2.2, and
any other charmaps found in the other places could be generated
from the one in glibc-2.2 via simple perl scripts. That is the
way we created the big5.c, the iconvdata of glibc-2.2. If you
take a look at the comments in big5.c, you will find a lot of
perl scripts to generate contents of it from the BIG5 charmap.

Using this way, we could try our best to have a unique standard
of the charmaps in most parts of the system.

Besides, I could not understand very well about the format of

	/usr/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/large/big5.eten-0.enc

the following are lines from the original version of X401src-2.tgz:

  STARTENCODING big5.eten-0
  ALIAS big5-0
  # This file is partly derived from data provided by the Unicode Consortium
  SIZE 0xFA 0xFF
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what is the meaning of SIZE???

  STARTMAPPING unicode
  # The Unicode table is probably not quite correct
  UNDEFINE 0x0000 0xF9D5
what does this mean????

and in the end of this file:

  STARTMAPPING cmap 3 3