Re: isorecorder

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 03:19:09PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 08:16:39PM +0000, Pete Batard wrote:
>>On 2021.01.13 18:49, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>> I've never seen a UAS device here yet, let alone tested with one. :-)

>Right. I've found and ordered a Startech USB3S2SAT3CB which looks
>useful. I've got a couple of small spare SSDs that I can use that
>with. I was hoping to find a source for reasonably-priced USB-UAS
>flash drives but the only one I can see off-hand is the "Corsair
>Voyager GTX", e.g. at
>
>  https://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-corsair-flash-voyager-gtx-usb-31-gen-1-type-a-pendrive-black-460mb-s-read-460mb-s-write-33k-40
>
>>Obviously, these last two devices require an additional NVMe or SATA disk to
>>be usable. But I'd say USB <-> NVMe adapters are likely to become more and
>>more widespread especially as can solve the problems of using something a bit
>>more reliable and faster (as well as much better with random I/O) than
>>regular flash drives, even more so on platforms that have USB 3.x but no
>>NVMe.
>>
>>Plus I can certainly see people wanting to use the "extract all the Debian
>>installation files into an ESP" procedure on regular x86 UEFI PCs, using a
>>USB SSD (especially now that USB speeds are starting to catch up with NVMe),
>>in which case there's a good chance their installation media will be UAS...
>
>Right. Now I know it's a problem, I can have a look.

OK, and I've sussed it. I splurged on that Voyager drive too, and
tested with it. The problem we have is deep down in the way that Linux
/ udev describe UAS-attached drives. In d-i we look for CD/DVD media
and then USB drives, and for the latter we look for "ID_BUS=usb" from
"udevadm info". On UAS media instead we get "ID_BUS=ata" so they don't
show up. This isn't a recent change, it's been like that way forever.

I've just added extra fallback code in d-i now to check for "usb" in
the "ID_PATH" string too, and I've just run an installation now using
that build. All looks good here. The changes will be in the next daily
build early tomorrow.

Hilariously, it's not just d-i that doesn't deal with the UAS edge
cases here. My test PC here would only recognise UAS media in BIOS
mode (i.e. CSM enabled), not in UEFI mode. In my initial debugging
here I ended up having to use two USB sticks - an older one to boot
off and then remove, then the Voyager one to test detection code
with. Firmware update needed! :-)

Is there anybody out there?