Re: Firefox claims i386 images contain virus or malware

On Mon, Nov 02, 2020 at 10:41:56AM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > > Previously, this seemed to be caused by another (unrelated) download
> > > from the same server in Sweden.
>
> Do i understand right that it is not about the ISO and its content but
> rather about other files which are offered by the same server ?
>
> Back in july i downloaded an amd64 ISO by Debian 10 for testing and got
> the warning once, but not on the second download. So reproducing the
> effect is not easy.
> I'm quite sure that the mirror i used was not in sweden. Do the offending
> files get mirrored to german servers ?
>

> Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > Google has decided that a) annother ancient win95 antivirus binary is evil
> > and b) [worse] a current free software projects' USB-SD-creator.exe is evil.
>
> If my puzzled theory is right and Google stays as it is, then it might
> become necessary to separate Debian ISOs from software from other worlds.
>
> If my theory is wrong, please correct me, so i don't spread false rumors
> among the ISO users.

If all else fails, find a Linux box and use jigdo-file and the jigdo-lite
command to assemble a medium from individual Debian packages.

That works with any mirror, downloads small template files to start the
process, checksums and verifies images.

It is, in fact, the way that the originals for the CD images are distributed
and then built on the CD image server itself.

I wrote it up for Planet Debian a while ago - it might be worth checking to
see if it meets your needs.

All the very best,

Andy C