Re: ftp.debian.org: please drop MD5sum lines from Packages

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 01:27:44PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>i wrote:
>> How about mirror checking by SHA256 in grab_md5, before computing the
>> MD5 for jigdo ?
>
>Or you could let libjte internally compute both, SHA256 and MD5,
>let it work with SHA256, but store in .jigdo and .template the MD5.

Much cleaner to switch to sha256 here, I think.

>(I just checked the API definition. If you can tolerate the function
> names libjte_set_md5_path() and libjte_add_md5_demand(), then the
> API part used by xorriso will need no change, whatever you decide.
>
> Not so good looks the API part which re-narrates the way how genisoimage
> produced jigdo. Functions libjte_decide_file_jigdo() and
> libjte_write_match_record() have MD5 char arrays as parameters.
> They'd need to be deprecated and/or replaced by new functions.
> I am not aware of any other user of libjte except xorriso. So maybe
> just throw out the "Traditional Data File API".

I'll take a look at thst shortly. Working on the core jigdo tool first.

> What happens to "powerpc" ISOs ?
> Will you backport the new JTE to genisoimage ?

We haven't made official "powerpc" ISOs in a while, so I'm not sure we
need to bother.

< Aardvark> I dislike C++ to start with. C++11 just seems to be
            handing rope-creating factories for users to hang multiple
            instances of themselves.