Re: have a mate-desktop CD was Re: magnet links and pushing them to meta-search engines.

Reply at bottom :-

On 17/03/2018, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> Is there a relatively simple way a normal Debian user (without special
> developer skills or access to special developer resources) can create a
> Debian Live CD/DVD/BD/USB-stick with their choice of packages?  The goal
> here would be for Sirish (and me too, for that matter) to be able to create
> our own Debian Live mate-desktop.  Generalizing a little bit: One could
> create a bootable Live USB-stick with a custom set of utilities (e.g. for
> network installation/testing/debugging).
>
> Is that possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Dear Rick,

As Steve shared there is that . If you are looking at stable model
then you are in luck as

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/
which I guess Steve was talking about earlier.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-9.4.0-amd64-mate.iso
would have been perfect if I were chasing a stable release .

There used to be an interesting service when debian-live was an
unofficial project (third-party) where one could put a list of all the
softwares needed and after few minutes to an hour you would get a
customized iso image which could be downloadable for a day.

There are and were multiple problems with that scenario as sometimes I
got packages from unstable or even testing which were buggy and had RC
(release-critical) bugs filed against them which means those packages
should not have been allowed to come on the live-cd in the first
place. Also just a single person was a maintainer so support was an
issue.

>From what little I know even the new debian-live to offer a similar
service with more hardened tools and checks but needs heads and hands
to provide a similar service.

There is also debian's own automated installation routine involving
preseeding as well -

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apb.html

an example preseed.txt file

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/example-preseed.txt

The preseed way looks to be more easy and simpler than the scripts
that Steve shares. I for instance, wouldn't know which lines to touch
and which not to in order to get a customized mate-debian-alpha 2
.iso.

Maybe if it had a nice UI rather than a gitlab instance or just the
documentation it would have been fruitful but that again need people
power who are willing to do the needful.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल