Re: Probably problem with ISO image debian-8.6.0-arm64-netinst.iso

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 08:54:52PM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Anders Thulin wrote:
>> Looking at debian-8.6.0-arm64-netinst.iso using ISOBuster.
>> In the Primary Volume Descriptor file hierarchy, there's a file
>> /FIRMWARE/FIRMWARE.DEB;1 (size 0).
>
>That's a symbolic link.
>  firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb -> ../pool/main/f/firmware-free/firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb
>Useful mostly with Rock Ridge.
>
>> In the Supplementary Volume Descriptor (Joliet), that file isn't there.
>> The directory /firmware is present, but it is empty.
>
>Joliet (and plain ISO 9660) do not represent symbolic links.
>Because Rock Ridge is an add-on to the ISO 9660 tree, there is an empty
>file in that tree, of which the Rock Ridge attributes tell the story.
>
>I wonder why the Debian installation ISOs contain Joliet at all.
>Are there use cases on MS-Windows for which one would want to unpack
>files ?

For a very long time we cared about a range of Windows-based use cases
too, e.g. people copying the files from a CD onto a Windows PC for
network sharing etc.

>Is it certain that all names are short enough for being represented
>in Joliet without mangling ? (103 characters by -joliet-long.)

We've been using -joliet-long for a long time, and I've complained a
few times when we've had absurdly long filenames in the archive.

To be honest, I could probably be persuaded to drop the Joliet support
altogether as I'm not sure we need to care about it so much any more.

>> So ... Debian CD production may have some kind of problem.
>
>If it is a problem, then of program xorriso, of which i am the developer.
>
>For now i see none, except the inavoidable confusion caused by empty or
>missing file, where Rock Ridge mounted on a Unix-ly system shows a
>working symbolic link.

*nod*

  Armed with "Valor": "Centurion" represents quality of Discipline,
  Honor, Integrity and Loyalty. Now you don't have to be a Caesar to
  concord the digital world while feeling safe and proud.