Re: Probably problem with ISO image debian-8.6.0-arm64-netinst.iso

Hi,

Anders Thulin wrote:
> Looking at debian-8.6.0-arm64-netinst.iso using ISOBuster.
> In the Primary Volume Descriptor file hierarchy, there's a file
> /FIRMWARE/FIRMWARE.DEB;1 (size 0).

That's a symbolic link.
  firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb -> ../pool/main/f/firmware-free/firmware-linux-free_3.3_all.deb
Useful mostly with Rock Ridge.

> In the Supplementary Volume Descriptor (Joliet), that file isn't there.
> The directory /firmware is present, but it is empty.

Joliet (and plain ISO 9660) do not represent symbolic links.
Because Rock Ridge is an add-on to the ISO 9660 tree, there is an empty
file in that tree, of which the Rock Ridge attributes tell the story.

I wonder why the Debian installation ISOs contain Joliet at all.
Are there use cases on MS-Windows for which one would want to unpack
files ?
Is it certain that all names are short enough for being represented
in Joliet without mangling ? (103 characters by -joliet-long.)

> So ... Debian CD production may have some kind of problem.

If it is a problem, then of program xorriso, of which i am the developer.

For now i see none, except the inavoidable confusion caused by empty or
missing file, where Rock Ridge mounted on a Unix-ly system shows a
working symbolic link.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas