Re: Reproducing cd build

Hi Steve,

> Hmmm, OK. IIRC there was a change in default path quite a while back
> which had this kind of effect, but I *think* that was back
> pre-Jessie. We had to cope with this for x86 architectures. *Maybe*
> there's a similar change needed for ppc64el too?
>
> git://git.debian.org/d-i/debian-installer commit 81109010691ee0fc9357bd10be8fe116b9bb9f84
>
> is the thing I'm looking at. Maybe compare the grub.cfg file in each image?

grub.cfg is the same in both mini.iso and debian-testing-ppc64el-netinst.iso.

With the failing debian-testing-ppc64el-netinst.iso, I also noticed that when
I define "cdrom" alias in the openfirmware, grub loads its menu.

--- in the openfirmware :
0 > devalias
ibm,sp              /vdevice/IBM,sp@4000
network             /vdevice/l-lan@30000002
net                 /vdevice/l-lan@30000002
scsi                /vdevice/v-scsi@30000015
nvram               /vdevice/nvram@4002
rtc                 /vdevice/rtc@4001
 ok

0 > devalias cdrom /vdevice/v-scsi@30000015/disk@8200000000000000  ok
0 > boot cdrom
---

Grub shows the menu and in grub's command line, I have :

---
grub> set
?=0
cmdpath=(ieee1275/cdrom,5)
color_highlight=black/light-gray
color_normal=light-gray/black
default=2
feature_200_final=y
feature_all_video_module=y
feature_chainloader_bpb=y
feature_default_font_path=y
feature_menuentry_id=y
feature_menuentry_options=y
feature_nativedisk_cmd=y
feature_ntldr=y
feature_platform_search_hint=y
feature_timeout_style=y
grub_cpu=powerpc
grub_platform=ieee1275
lang=
locale_dir=
pager=
prefix=(ieee1275/cdrom)/boot/grub
root=ieee1275/cdrom
secondary_locale_dir=
---

Without doing devalias, it's failing to load the menu and I have :
---
grub> set
?=0
cmdpath=(ieee1275//vdevice/v-scsi@30000015/disk@8200000000000000,5)
color_highlight=black/light-gray
color_normal=light-gray/black
feature_200_final=y
feature_all_video_module=y
feature_chainloader_bpb=y
feature_default_font_path=y
feature_menuentry_id=y
feature_menuentry_options=y
feature_nativedisk_cmd=y
feature_ntldr=y
feature_platform_search_hint=y
feature_timeout_style=y
grub_cpu=powerpc
grub_platform=ieee1275
lang=
locale_dir=
pager=
prefix=(ieee1275/cdrom)/boot/grub
root=ieee1275/cdrom
secondary_locale_dir=
---

So it seems that the value cmdpath in grub is different and changes the
behaviour. Grub shows version "2.02~beta2-36".

mini.iso which works without the devalias workaround, shows the good value of
cmdpath i.e. (ieee1275/cdrom,5) and shows "2.02~beta2-36". So I think your commit is good.
But the 2 grubs behave differently in determing cmdpath value.
They also show the same version.

---
 $ ls -ltr mini/boot/grub/powerpc.elf debian-testing-ppc64el-netinst/boot/grub/powerpc.elf
 -r--r--r-- 3 root root  81068 Jan  6 07:37 mini/boot/grub/powerpc.elf
 -r--r--r-- 1 root root 286964 May  9 02:00 debian-testing-ppc64el-netinst/boot/grub/powerpc.elf
---

How does that come ? Do we have different versions of grub actually for testing
mini.iso and testing netinst ? or are those binaries build differently from the
same source, one missing some functionnalities.

I'm still trying to make debian-cd work on my side :)

F.