Re: Suggestions for CD images - following CD talk at Debconf

On Fri, 2015-08-21 at 22:26 +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

> [Off topic for _this_ list: I've got UEFI netboot working with
> bootnetx64.efi which is different from the grub etc. for CD/DVD -
> which is iikely to continue?

I'm not sure what the question is, are you asking if UEFI netboot is
likely to continue to be supported? I think so, yes.

If you are asking if the grub used for CD/DVD is likely you continue to
differ from the one used for network boot then I'm not sure. It might
be possible to combine them into one larger grub with all the relevant
modules, but at the moment they have different "prefixes" (the place
where they search for grub.cfg) encoded in the binary, one defaults to
on the disk (indirectly via a memdisk) and the other looks to the
network. Combining them would be the subject of some investigation to
determine if this can be avoided (perhaps using some more advanced
scripting). I had a brief look at one point and it seemed non-trivial
(plus I was worried about breaking existing uses)

Ian.