[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Dropping CDs entirely?! (was: Stretch Alpha 3 images)


Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (2015-08-30):
> (I know I'm not a regular debian-cd@ contributor, but please allow me to
> share my views on this DebConf thing, which are not debian-cd specific.)
> While I'm happy that meetings and discussions take place at DebConf, I'm
> not comfortable with those being a replacement for discussions on
> mailing lists.
> I don't think it's reasonable to expect people to be able to follow all
> of those (there are too many tracks, not all of them are recorded, and
> many other reasons…), be it on site or by watching the streams / videos
> after the facts.
> And as far as I'm concerned: I don't know how to make it clear or clearer
> that I really would like changes affecting d-i to be discussed or at
> least announced on debian-boot@. I've last mentioned it on dda@ less than
> 10 days before this change…
> > If it's a problem for you we can re-add them for now - please let me
> > know.
> I've seen no answer for the last two questions:
> > > Where was the discussion? What's the rationale? Where do we point
> > > people to?
> I could mention that “it was decided to drop all non-netinst CDs”, but I
> wouldn't quite like doing so without having a reference to point people
> to. Even commit messages don't explain the reason behind this change.
> On a personal level again: I would really prefer understanding this
> change and documenting it properly (be it in the d-i release announce,
> in installation-guide, on the website -- many links to change! -- etc.),
> instead of adding a vague “debian-cd decided so” label onto this change.
> What about publishing fixes for stuff broken in Stretch Alpha 2 through
> Stretch Alpha 3 (which was my initial plan), and trying to that properly
> another time?

Would it be possible to get some kind of timeframe for this please? More
changes reach testing as time passes, and avoiding getting too huge a
gap between d-i upload and actual image builds would be nice; I lifted
all block-udebs as building was supposed to happen right after
copy-installer; other regressions/changes can pop up there at any time…

I could understand if that was postponed until after the upcoming
weekend due to both wheezy and jessie point releases (in which case I
might re-upload debian-installer to account for newer udeb updates, then
block subsequent udeb migrations), but as I explained past week, it
would be nice on our users to deal with the current, known breakages
in a timely fashion.


Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

Reply to: