Re: Aw: Re: Re: preseed with netboot ISO

On Fri, 2014-12-19 at 14:49 +0100, Lars-Daniel Weber wrote:
> > Gesendet: Freitag, 19. Dezember 2014 um 14:27 Uhr
> > AFIAIK the netboot mini.iso images are basically "all the bits of PXE
> > boot, but in an ISO". As such there is nothing of interest (e.g. no
> > packages) on the ISO once the kernel + initrd are loaded and I wouldn't
> > necessarily expect it to bother trying to mount it in the installer
> > environment.
>
> Trust me, it works great for doing quick installs in virtualbox etc.
> When "baking" the preseed in intrd, you can get a full install in about
> 3 minutes. Okay, there are snapshots... but I like to have it quick and
> small.

Baking the preseed in the initrd is a different case to having an
preseed in the iso directly though, one working would imply very little
about the other.

TBH you are chopping and changing between so many different scenarios
that I'm not really sure what you are saying works and doesn't any more.

> > What do you mean by a outside the initrd?
>
> "outside" means: preseed.cfg lies in root and LINUXISO has:
> APPEND file=/cdrom/preseed.cfg
>
> "inside" means: packed inside initrd.gz (like done ine Philip's turorial)
>
> > How are you self-building these netboot images?
>
> I've simply downloaded the source of the debian-installer and rebuild it:
> git clone http://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/debian-installer.git --branch wheezy --single-branch
> "make build_netboot" or "make rebuild_netboot".
>
> These netboot-images work, but the "official" mini.iso doesn't.

For mini.iso you are using
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/mini.iso ? That's the Wheezy image, whereas if you build from git you are picking up the Sid/Jessie version of things, which corresponds to what is under http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/.

Perhaps Wheezy didn't support what you are trying to do and Jessie does?

Ian.