Re: Debian Live CD on USB 3.0?

Am 09.04.2014 00:35, schrieb Andrew M.A. Cater:
Debian Live CD appears to have a problem booting on USB 3.0 ports but boots well on USB 2.0 ports. No specifics I'm afraid
because a friend reported this to me fron an HP all-in-one desktop that normally runs Windows 8

Has anybody else seen this one, by any chance?

All the very best,

AndyC
I think we need more info on that: is the boot media USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? Where in the boot process does it fail? Do you get to the bootloader or does the drive not even try to boot at all?

Booting from USB 3.0 ports requires that the firmware/BIOS supports it. This is not the case with many earlier USB 3.0 implementations (an FAQ entry from the german c't magazine from end of 2011 tells this was not possible at that time with most if not all USB 3.0 boards). I did, however, successfully boot several Lenovo and HP machines from USB 3.0 which were bought in the last 12 months. Did you test with any other live CD/distro that booting from USB 3.0 works at all?

Booting from USB 2.0 media on USB 3.0 ports often does not work. That's one of the reasons all USB 3.0 equipped machines still have USB 2.0 ports as well.

If the boot process starts but gets stuck because it cannot find the root filesystem, the live system might be lacking xhci support. But that should not be the case with any recent debian live.

Bye,
Andreas