Re: "CD/DVD/Blue-Ray image building expected to take around 8 hours end to end"

On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 14:40:58 +0100
Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> >>  i386 source amd64 multi-arch powerpc armel armhf ia64 mips mipsel s390
> >>  s390x sparc kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386
> >
> > Is it built with multiple hosts (for each arch) or single host?
>
> They're all built on one big server machine (pettersson.d.o).

 Wow.

> > Probably we don't want to use ioDrive since it needs proprietary driver,
> > but similar PCIe flash device (Intel 910?) would be able to gain better
> > performance than normal SSD drives.
>
> Possibly, yes. We'd need a lot of space, on the order of 2TB to make
> things work sensibly.

 Intel SSD 910 Series 800GB SSDPEDPX800G301 -> $4,000
 Hmm... we need this device for 3 for 2TB, then $12,000.

 Does it make sense that separate it to some hosts?
 e.g. one is amd64, i386, kfreebsd-*, another is the rest.

 Since most users' needs is limited to those x86, I guess. If we'd use
 new device to create x86 images at least, it's better than now.
 (probably we can create *hourly* CD/DVD images)

 It's not perfect choice (of course) but better cost performance for
 investment for new equipment, IMO.

 Or do we have any restrictions to put all into one server?

--
Regards,

 Hideki Yamane     henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
 http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane