Re: Help with Wheezy CD testing on Saturday

Hi,

> I've been trying to install using the XFCE CD on a zx6000.  The boot
> rom doesn't recognise the CD as being bootable.    The netinst CD does
> work.

Google zx6000 ... Itanium CPU ... would that be ia64 ?
  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/ia64/iso-cd/debian-7.0.0-ia64-netinst.iso
  http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.0.0/ia64/iso-cd/debian-7.0.0-ia64-xfce-CD-1.iso
Does Itanium boot via BIOS compatible firmware ? Or is it already
half on the way to EFI ?

The El Torito boot records in both images point to /boot/boot.img
(from GRUB, not ISOLINUX ?).
Both files /boot/boot.img are identical.

The only difference i can spot is in the addresses of /boot/boot.img.
netinst.iso has it in block 9108. xfce-CD-1.iso in block 252062.

xorriso -as mkisofs option
   --sort-weight 1000000 /boot/boot.img
would force /boot/boot.img to a much lower block address.

It seems, that no -boot-info-table was among the -as mkisofs options
of the xorriso run. The El Torito Initial Entry indicates -no-emul-boot
and -boot-load-size 0.
A test run of

  mount -o loop debian-7.0.0-ia64-xfce-CD-1.iso /mnt

  xorriso -as mkisofs \
     -o /debian7_ia64xfce_repack.iso \
     -c /boot/boot.catalog \
     -b /boot/boot.img -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size i0 \
     --sort-weight 1000000 /boot/boot.img \
     /mnt

yielded in debian7_ia64xfce_repack.iso for /boot/boot.img the block
address 941.

But i have no means to test whether my guessed options make a
bootable image for ia64. The files should be all there. But
the path from El Torito to /boot/boot.img is questionable.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas