Re: Problem with DVD #8

[ Replying to the debian-cd list too. *Please* follow up to the lists
  too when you're talking about problems. Gmail is atrocious for
  this. ]

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 02:19:15PM -0500, Parviz Rasoulipour wrote:
>On 21/12/12 01:41 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 01:20:08PM -0500, Parviz Rasoulipour wrote:
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I downloaded the 8 DVD images from the Debian website
>>>http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.6/i386/iso-dvd/
>>>
>>>andextracted contents of the images in my hard disk to be used as
>>>local repository. It seems that there is a problem with the last
>>>image (# 8), because the Synaptic package manager issues an error
>>>warning when the address of the directory containing DVD8 is included
>>>in the list of its third-party repository.
>>Hi,
>>
>>Could you please show us the details of that error from synaptic
>>please? It's a bit difficult to diagnose the problem without that. :-)
>>
>OK, Here is what I did in detail:
>
>1) Downloaded all the DVD images.
>2) Extracted contents of the images into separate directories on my
>hard disk.
>    For example, the content of image #1 was extracted into:
>    home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD1
>    And I did similarly with other images.
>4) I included all the following lines into the Synaptic via
>    Settings > Repositories > Third-party Software > Add
>
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD1 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD2 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD3 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD4 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD5 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD6 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD7 squeeze main contrib
>deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD8 squeeze main contrib
>
>Each line was fed into the Synaptic separately. All was OK except the
>last line which caused the following error message (The message is in
>the double quotes):
>
>"Could not download all repository indexes
>
>The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted
>because of network problems. If available an older version of the
>failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored.
>Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in
>the preferences is correct.
>
>Failed to fetch file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD8/dists/squeeze/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz
>File not found
>Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
>ones used instead."

Right, thankyou for sharing that - it's more helpful. :-)

>Then I removed the last line and reloaded again. It was OK.
>Now, I am guessing that either there is a problem with manufacturing
>the last image (#8) OR the contents of the last image cannot be
>included like that of other DVD images.

There isn't a problem with DVD#8, it just doesn't contain any contrib
packages. Your method of adding all DVD directories and listing both
main and contrib for all of them is the problem here. If you re-add
with just

deb file:/home/parviz/DebianReposi/DVD8 squeeze main

then it will work fine. If you want to solve this problem more
generally, check to see if $DVD/dists/squeeze/$suite exists before
listing $suite for that DVD. If you use apt-cdrom to add (real) CDs or
DVDs, it works out which suites to include automatically using the
metadata in dists/squeeze/Release.

OK?

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/