Re: experiences with debian amd64 EFI test CD, build 3

Hi Steve,

ok, I was partly able to reproduce my last setup. The good news is, it was really partly my fault. Back to what happened: my original system (win/debian) runs on a 500GB HD. At the very beginning, I installed Win7 as UEFI and debian as MBR since I was not aware that I even have an UEFI board (... :-)). Before I thought about reinstalling Debian (and before I discovered the EFI CDs) I tried to fix that by running a lot of commands ( I really don't know anymore which ), that created a grubx64.efi on the existing EFI boot partition. That did not help (grub would not show up) so I reinstalled Debian using the EFI CDs and ... got the error "no EFI boot partition found". Since that PC is not mine, I fear to reinstall Debian there for the moment. But I guess all those commands I tried to get grub running at first, could have caused that error later (since I changed some files on the original EFI boot partition)

That is why I tried to install the same setup on a spare 2TB HD. As I mentioned, this does not work since the Debian installer stops working after I choose an option like "text mode installer", "graphical mode installer", "text mode rescue". No matter which option I choose, the CD stops spinning and nothing happens. I cannot even pull a log at this moment, so I fear I cannot provide more debug information here (or is there another way?) Is there hope that the installer will work with 2TB HDs soon?

So I tried with a spare 250GB HD: fresh Win, fresh Debian. The installer is able to detect the Win EFI boot partition and installs grub into that partition. However grub will not detect the Win OS. I still have to create that grub script to add the Win entry to the grub menu. I guess this is a grub problem rather than a problem of that installer?

Sooo I guess the only way to reproduce that error is to go back to the original PC and ask if I can reinstall Debian there. However I am not sure that is of help since I guess (or hope) that most of the people won't start messing around with the EFI boot partition and try install a proper system afterwards :) ?

Regards
Carolin