experiences with debian amd64 EFI test CD, build 3

Hi all,

I just tested the debian amd64 EFI test CD, build3 (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/efi-development/upload3/) and since the author asked for feedback I summarize my experiences here.

I have a Gigabyte B75M-D3H mainboard and want to have Windows 7 and Debian as dualboot. I installed Windows 7 first as UEFI (the mainboard supports BIOS and UEFI and I configured it to run in "EFI compatible mode". It also has a legacy ROM mode). The installer created three partitions:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags 1 1049kB 106MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot 2 106MB 240MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
 3      240MB   220GB  220GB   ntfs            Basic data partition

After Windows was running I installed Debian using the amd64 EFI test CD, build 3. My expectation was that Debian would just use the first partition as EFI boot partition (the one which has been created by the Windows installer), which is why I only created a root and a swap partition. However when I did that, the installer complained that it did not find an EFI boot partition. So I went back and created another EFI boot partition:

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags 1 1049kB 106MB 105MB fat32 EFI system partition boot 2 106MB 240MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
 3      240MB   220GB  220GB   ntfs            Basic data partition
4 220GB 220GB 128MB fat32 boot
 5      220GB   221GB  1000MB  linux-swap(v1)
 6      221GB   247GB  26.0GB  ext4

Afterwards, the installer worked fine and I ended up with an UEFI Debian. However it did not detect the Windows so I had to choose between Windows and Debian by pressing f12 on boot (to launch the board's boot menu). In order to fix that I wrote a small script for grub that has to be stored in /etc/grub.d:

#!/bin/bash

cat <<EOF
menuentry "Windows 7" {
set root='(hd0,gpt1)'
chainloader /efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}
EOF

I stored the file as "11_windows" and execute "update-grub2". Afterwards I was able to configure the Debian EFI boot partition as default boot partition. It will now launch grub2 which allows me to choose between Debian and Windows.

Summarizing, I think the only thing that is really missing is the detection of another UEFI OS. Maybe that can be solved if the installer would be able to detect the other EFI boot partition?

Apart from that: All perfect and I am happy :)

best regards
Carolin