Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

Hi,

Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu> wrote:
> What about recommending /dev/disk/by-id/usb-X instead?

I understand that the instructions about creating a Debian installation
medium shall be usable on as many systems as possible, not only on
already installed Debian systems.

USB stick on a pre-udev SuSE:
  brw-r----- 1 root disk   8, 32 2012-05-15 20:18 /dev/sdb

USB stick on FreeBSD 8:
  crw-rw-r--  1 root  floppy      0, 124 May 15 20:13 /dev/da0

On Solaris it seems to be:
  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 60 Jun  8  2010 /dev/dsk/c5t0d0p0 -> ../../devices/pci@0,0/pci1458,5004@13,2/storage@4/disk@0,0:q
  br-------- 1 root root 83, 272 Jun  8  2010 /devices/pci@0,0/pci1458,5004@13,2/storage@4/disk@0,0:q
I fail to find a device file with any w-permission in the c5t0d0 family of
/dev/dsk or /dev/rdsk. (When i was younger, Solaris looked more like Unix.)
There is a script
   http://src.opensolaris.org/source/raw/livemedia/livemedia/usbcopy
which finds the USB stick and writes some data onto the stick while issueing
several error messages.
But the stick afterwards does not bear the data which i gave as input
"image" to the script.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas