Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sun, 13 May 2012 18:36:09 -0400
Michael Gilbert <mgilbert@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > Remembering the fun that we had during the Squeeze release with trying
> > to make single-CD installations work well, it's time to consider what
> > we're going to *claim* to support in Wheezy. We've had a history of
> > supporting the following single-CD installations:
> >
> >  * Gnome desktop from CD#1
> >  * KDE desktop from "KDE CD#1"
> >  * XFCE desktop from "light CD#1"
> >  * LXDE desktop from "light CD#1"
> >  * base system only from netinst CD
> >
> > At this point, I'm skeptical that either of the first two are going to
> > work acceptably with Wheezy. If that's the case, then we should warn
> > people that they will need to use at least one of:
> >
> >  * more CDs
> >  * a DVD
> >  * a network mirror
> >
> > to get a useful/useable installation.
>
> What about supporting only the smaller/lighter desktop environments
> (maybe even making one of the the default environment)?  Then there
> wouldn't be the need for multiple CD #1's.  Anyone that wants
> gnome/kde after installation will need to grab those from the mirrors
> (or use DVD or greater media).

"supporting only the smaller/lighter desktop environments" is exactly
what comes out of accepting that the first two options just won't be
acceptable. Changing compression is only putting off the inevitable.
There's *no* reason to think that GNOME or KDE are going to get back
below the 1 CD limit at the next Debian stable release.

I'd support XFCE4 as the default Graphical Desktop Environment and
possibly putting GNOME (and KDE) as alternative options.

That way, GNOME and KDE (as explicit options) should only show up in
the list if using a medium which can provide that amount of packages.

--

Neil Williams