Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 17:04:16 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Remembering the fun that we had during the Squeeze release with trying
> to make single-CD installations work well, it's time to consider what
> we're going to *claim* to support in Wheezy. We've had a history of
> supporting the following single-CD installations:

Yes, I'd not see any problem from my side with switching the default
dpkg-deb compression to xz for 1.16.4, if people are fine with that (as
long as it's not conditional). Last time there were some concerns about
slow architectures or low memory systems, but the default preset is
quite conservative so I don't really see the issue. And if specific
packages are problematic they can always decide to use another
compression type or level. Also if udeb:s are going to be using
xz then it makes even more sense to use it for everything.

thanks,
guillem