Re: netinst testing: can't work on less than 686-pae, no way to install linux-image-486

On 14 August 2011 23:07, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:

> Thanks. If it's not too much trouble, it would be helpful if you can
> try the install again and do a manual installation of
> linux-image-3.0.0-1-486_3.0.0-1_i386.deb to see if that fixes the
> problem, at least as a workaround.

It turns out it did in fact boot! The 686-pae kernel crashed, but it
also installed 2.6.38 as an option. So I booted into that and it let
me try to install linux-image-486, which pulled in 3.0.0.

It didn't actually succeed, because the Linutop 2 only has 1GB flash
"hard disk" and I ran out of disk ;-) But it appears it is possible to
boot the test install, using the previous kernel that it kindly
installs.

I have since installed stable, so can't test further for the moment.
But there is a workaround, even if it's not apparent during the
install itself.

- d.