Re: Documenting USB install

On Saturday, July 02, 2011 09:04:22 AM Christian PERRIER wrote:

Hi,

> Quoting Touko Korpela (touko.korpela@iki.fi):
> > At www.debian.org/CD (various subpages and FAQ) documents talk mainly CD
> > images and CD install. Nowdays USB install is maybe already more common.
> > Current images can also boot from USB media (hybrid image), correct?
> > Debian Live documents USB install so I think that main installer should
> > too.
>
> Something like http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch04s03.html?
>

> (admitedly, this documentation needs updates as it focuses on the
> "old" way to do USB installs, before the era of hybrid images....any
> volunteer for doing this?)

Yes, it focuses on the "old" way to do USB installs, but the information is
still valid and there is nothing wrong with it to stay. Maybe we can simply
add a short paragraph at the beginning of that section which exlains that
Debian official images contain both El Torito and MBR records [1] to boot from
optical media (disCs) as well as from MBR-containing storages, i.e.
(hard)disK-like devices. Also, there is no need to post-process the images to
get them hybridized, the whole thing is created on the fly, in one go.

[1] I really like the explanation given at:
http://libburnia-project.org/wiki/FAQ#isohybrid

--
pub 4096R/0E4BD0AB <people.fccf.net/danchev/key pgp.mit.edu>