Re: Modify Squeeze Netinstaller CD (including Firmware)

Hi,

> I got an "Invalid or corrupt kernel" message, but I don't understand why.

The ISOLINUX boot image /isolinux/isolinux.bin contains a text:
"Invalid or corrupt kernel image."

If that appears then initial booting from the ISO image worked.
But obviously the booted loader cannot go on with booting the
desired operating system.

So the problem is not about the way how the ISO image was made bootable
by mkisofs, genisoimage or xorriso.
It is rather about the operating system files which are stored in the
directory tree which you extracted from the ISO image.

> Seems like that there has something changed with Squeeze?

The amd64 netinstall image got packed up by xorriso rather than genisoimage.
During the transition there were problems reported about bsdtar and
xorriso images. But we solved them, afaik.
(Debian Bugs 610781 610783)

Maybe it helps if you replace
  bsdtar -C ~/netinstaller6/cd -xf ~/netinstaller/debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso
by
  cd ~/netinstaller6
  mkdir cd
  su
  mount -o loop ./debian-6.0.1a-amd64-netinst.iso ./cd

(and later umount ./cd when you are done)

If there is a difference in success, then one should compare the
mounted ISO image tree with the file tree extracted by bsdtar.

In that case the problem has to be diagnosed by the developers
of libarchive and me, as developer of xorriso.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas