Re: MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:52:35AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> I've noticed a problem recently in the archive when building CDs,
>> aggravated to a certain extent by the newer source formats. Some of
>> the filenames in the archive are getting *very* long, and this is
>> causing issues. As a matter of course, we build CDs with RockRidge and
>> Joliet support so that we have long filenames for Linux and Windows
>> users.
>
>What is the use case for accessing long filenames from the CD in
>Windows? The files needed by win32-loader need to be
>accessible, and documentation too, but it should not matter if
>deb files cannot be looked up from within Windows.

There are uses I've heard about, including (apparently quite common)
using CDs and DVDs to seed a mirror on a Windows server.

>Is it possible to provide Joliet filenames for only a subset of files?

It is, yes. But not something I'd like to do if we can avoid it.

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me