MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

Hey folks,

I've noticed a problem recently in the archive when building CDs,
aggravated to a certain extent by the newer source formats. Some of
the filenames in the archive are getting *very* long, and this is
causing issues. As a matter of course, we build CDs with RockRidge and
Joliet support so that we have long filenames for Linux and Windows
users. The problem is that Joliet has a limit for filename length (64
characters), and technically we're already past that length. From

      Allow Joliet filenames to be up to 103 Unicode characters,
      instead of 64. This breaks the Joliet specification, but appears
      to work. Use with caution.

I've been using -joliet-long as an option to the CD build scripts for
a while without any noticeable issues, however we may be able to hit a
brick wall. There are a few packages that are close to the (already
over-spec) limit now, and if (for example) we end up with a security
upload which adds a few characters to the filename then these files
simply will not fit on our CDs any more.

Therefore, I'm proposing a maximum limit of 80 characters on uploaded
source / deb files to give us some headroom. With help from a friendly
local ftpmaster, I've found the following packages that are currently
over that limit (with a run through dd-list):

Ying-Chun Liu (PaulLiu) <paulliu@debian.org>

Nicholas Bamber <nicholas@periapt.co.uk>
   libcgi-application-plugin-authorization-perl (U)

Debian Firebird Group <pkg-firebird-general@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Debian LibreOffice Maintainers <debian-openoffice@lists.debian.org>

Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org>
   openoffice.org (U)

Sean Finney <seanius@debian.org>
   compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported (U)

Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org>
   firebird2.5 (U)

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>
   libcgi-application-plugin-authorization-perl (U)

If we really want to meet the spec, we should be aiming for < 64
characters, but that affects 98 packages and I'm not *too* bothered
about it since testing shows no issues thus far. I'm tempted to file:

 * serious bugs on the packages over 90 characters
 * normal bugs on those over 80
 * wishlist bugs on those over 64

"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on
 the desk so he can get a better aim."          [ seen in ucam.chat ]