Re: Checking the integrity of the Debian DVD

Hi Andrew,

          Eventually I settled for the command

#cmp /dev/cdrom /home/.../debian-6.0.0-DVD-1.iso

When the byte-by-byte comparison process hits the end-of-file in the iso file, it terminates with a

cmp: EOF detected in the iso file.

Otherwise it terminates with an error.
That is a pretty thorough integrity check of the DVD, provided the integrity of the downloaded iso file has already been checked using SHA256SUM.

I have upgraded from lenny to squeeze and presently exploring it.

Thank you very much for your suggestion anyway.

Kind regards,

--
Mr. Goldin R. Bennet
Department of Instrumentation and Control Engineering

Quoting Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au>:

Hi,

Goldin R. Bennet wrote:
I have downloaded the Debian-6.0.0. (Squeeze) DVD iso files and they passed the SHA256SUM integrity test. But after writing them on the DVD using K3b, Brasero, or GnomeBaker, when I checked the integrity of the DVD using SHA256SUM they failed. It appears, when the disk is closed, the additional characters inserted by the DVD writing program changed the SHA256SUM of the disk. Is there any solution for this problem so that the integrity of the disk also can be checked?

I think if you know exactly how many bytes or blocks to read and you read just that many, then you should get the right answer.

dd if=/dev/dvdrom bs=2048 count=xxxxx|sha256sum -

For example:

# ls -l debian-live-6.0.0-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso
-rw-r----- 1 root root 1172307968 2011-02-06 17:36 debian-live-6.0.0-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso

#  echo $((1172307968/2048))
572416

#  echo $((572136*2048))
1171734528

dd if=/dev/dvdrom bs=2048 count=572416 |sha256sum -

Cheers

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM