Re: Some updates not contained on point release DVDs

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 21:12 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 08:51:50PM +0200, Hilmar Preusse wrote:
> >I noticed that some (security) updates for Debian lenny are available
> >from debian/security for a while, but never made it on an point
> >release DVD image. Examples?
> >
> >hille@drachi:~$ apt-cache policy openjdk-6-jre
[...]
> >More examples are: squid, vlc, openldap... Most updates however are
> >on this discs like linux-image-2.6-686.
[...]
> It's worth asking
> the stable release manager(s) or the security team why these updates
> have not made it into the lenny point releases. I'm interested
> myself...

Packages from stable-security only get accepted in to proposed-updates
(and therefore into stable) once the packages are available for all
architectures; otherwise, once the package is in proposed-updates, the
standard autobuilders will try building it for the missing architectures
which will cause problems if the package is later provided via the
security archive, as the packages will most likely not be identical but
will have the same version number.

For the specific cases mentioned, openjdk-6 is missing an s390 build,
squid the armel build and vlc the mips build; openldap has two issues -
2.4.11-1+lenny1 was missing armel and s390 builds and +lenny3 was
automatically rejected when it was pushed from the security archive to
ftp-master, as the initial upload was source-only.

This information can also be seen in the "resolution pending" section of
http://release.debian.org/proposed-updates/stable.html ; hopefully the
above is sufficiently detailed, but please let us know if there are any
further queries.

Regards,

Adam