Re: Getting d-i to find firmware on the CD generated by debian-cd

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 06:58:52PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>Today I had a look at this issue, and tested a bit.  A new package was
>just uploaded to unstable with the changes I believe we need in Debian
>Edu.
>
>I changed the hw-detect code that take care of the firmware loading,
>to see if the .deb file include a preinst, and run it if it exist.
>With the firmware-ipw2x00 package, the license question was displayed
>as it should and answering now causes the firmware package to be
>removed from d-i and the firmware not to be used.
>
>To allow firmware to be found also when it is on the installation CD
>or DVD, I added code to look in /cdrom/firmware/ for firmware (u)debs.
>It will not accept loose firmware files in this location, only
>packages.  To test it, build your own CD with the firmware .debs
>symlinked from /firmware/ to /pool/.
>
>To allow firmware to be found when booting via PXE, it will also look
>in /firmware/ for (u)debs.  To test this feature, the PXE initrd need
>to be repacked with the wanted firmware packages stored in /firmware/.
>
>If the firmware is in a .deb package, the same package will also be
>installed in /target/, and if preseeding of the license is allowed,
>the license question will not show up again (this is the case for
>firmware-ipw2x00).  If preseeding isn't allowed, I believe dpkg will
>try to show the license again (and fail, because debconf forwarding is
>not set up in that part of the code).  I guess we should solve that
>problem if we run into firmware .debs which do not allow preseeding. :)
>
>Give it a try, and let me know if it work for you. :)

I've added code into debian-cd to generate images with firmware on the
first CD. Add "FORCE_FIRMWARE=1" in CONF.sh. I've also tweaked the
build scripts so that we'll start generating them. I can see that I've
got all the firmware debs in /firmware in the ISO, but I don't see any
feedback to suggest that the installer is picking up on them. Test
images available at

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/20100527-7/i386/iso-cd/firmware-testing-i386-netinst.iso
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/20100527-7/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

in case anybody else wants to help testing them. I've still got a
couple more things to decide about these new firmware-included images
even once we've got these working:

 * where exactly to put them on cdimage (for now they're alongside the
   normal images)

 * how to describe them in the README on the disc. For now I've added:

   "This disc includes non-free firmware files to make installation
    easier on some systems. See http://wiki.debian.org/Firmware for
    more details."

   but I'm open to suggestions for something better.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...