Re: Getting d-i to find firmware on the CD generated by debian-cd

Today I had a look at this issue, and tested a bit.  A new package was
just uploaded to unstable with the changes I believe we need in Debian
Edu.

I changed the hw-detect code that take care of the firmware loading,
to see if the .deb file include a preinst, and run it if it exist.
With the firmware-ipw2x00 package, the license question was displayed
as it should and answering now causes the firmware package to be
removed from d-i and the firmware not to be used.

To allow firmware to be found also when it is on the installation CD
or DVD, I added code to look in /cdrom/firmware/ for firmware (u)debs.
It will not accept loose firmware files in this location, only
packages.  To test it, build your own CD with the firmware .debs
symlinked from /firmware/ to /pool/.

To allow firmware to be found when booting via PXE, it will also look
in /firmware/ for (u)debs.  To test this feature, the PXE initrd need
to be repacked with the wanted firmware packages stored in /firmware/.

If the firmware is in a .deb package, the same package will also be
installed in /target/, and if preseeding of the license is allowed,
the license question will not show up again (this is the case for
firmware-ipw2x00).  If preseeding isn't allowed, I believe dpkg will
try to show the license again (and fail, because debconf forwarding is
not set up in that part of the code).  I guess we should solve that
problem if we run into firmware .debs which do not allow preseeding. :)

Give it a try, and let me know if it work for you. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen