Re: Live 5.0.0 i386 is maybe not i386

Richard & Frans,

thanks for the info -- yes, it is pretty old hardware, but the Internet
does record success with it using Debian, only I expect that means I
will need to find a comparable vintage debian ;)

I've been going down the list of old-hardware distros at distrowatch,
6 so far, 5 have failed to boot, one (puppy which is also deb) worked
once but wouldn't go subsequent trials.  It's a machine given free for
my 9 year old to use, so if it works, great, otherwise it's landfill :)

the caution about live-cds is also a point taken -- I was /hoping/ I
might find a live-CD that would at least demonstrate that all the
hardware was supported before I wipe the existing Win98 and end up
with a boat-anchor.

thanks gain; my quest continues!

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com> =============================
Alice laughed: "There's no use trying, one can't believe impossible things."