Re: On installation media and firmware [Re: New section for firmware]

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Don Armstrong wrote:
> Sure it does; it's a set of the initial media which contains the
> non-free firmware in *addition* to the normal stuff contained on the
> fully DFSG-free media. [You'd just need this for CD1, the netinst,
> business card and cd images, and perhaps the m-a DVD.]
>
> The only additional user-facing complexity is the additional media and
> the need for users to be able to differentiate between the media
> types.

I cannot make it more clear than this: the debian-boot and debian-cd teams
are against any such solution. Yes, in theory it is all possible (even
though it would require fairly structural changes mainly in d-cd), but
no, we will not work on implementing it and I doubt anyone will even
seriously consider patches implementing it if submitted by others.

Cheers,
FJP