Re: On installation media and firmware [Re: New section for firmware]

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 December 2008, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > It would be nice if you (or someone else) would then explain[1]
> > why having a limited set of d-i images + cd images which contained
> > the non-free firmware necessary for certain hardware to boot would
> > be an intractable solution. From where I sit, the major issues
> > with it would be:
>
> The major issue is that it does not solve all use-cases where
> firmware is needed. It does not solve the problem for netboot
> installations, nor for hd-media installations.

Sure it does; it's a set of the initial media which contains the
non-free firmware in *addition* to the normal stuff contained on the
fully DFSG-free media. [You'd just need this for CD1, the netinst,
business card and cd images, and perhaps the m-a DVD.]

The only additional user-facing complexity is the additional media and
the need for users to be able to differentiate between the media
types.

> We don't want to have users jump through hoops. Having to burn an
> additional image just for firmware and having to switch to that
> image and then switch back to the installation image is IMO a major
> hoop.

Having an additional image just for firmware was not what I suggested.

Don Armstrong

--
If you have the slightest bit of intellectual integrity you cannot
support the government. -- anonymous