Re: partial fix for ISOLINUX_DEFAULT

On Tuesday 06 January 2009, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> > 1) It's actual function seems extremely limited. Effectively it only
> > moves the default selection one line down.
> > 2) It does not really support multi-arch nor multi-desktop CD/DVDs.
> > 3) It only works because I expect isolinux will use the last
> > 'default' statement it encounters, but having two default statements
> > in a config seems rather ugly to me.
>
> here's a patch that seems to addresses 2 (at least for i386+amd64) and
> 3.

Thanks. However, looking at it again I still don't think the added
complexity really weighs up against what it achieves.

For Etch it was much more relevant as it really changed the user
experience when hitting enter and there was no guidance on how to select
the graphical installer. But now that a clear menu is displayed for the
user I really feel it's redundant.

We did consider changing the default for Lenny to the graphical installer.
I started a discussion about it on the d-boot list [1], but there was
insufficient real response to the proposal to motivate me to push it
through. I also wasn't 100% happy with the patch.

Expect an upload of d-cd soon.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2008/09/msg00468.html