Re: multi-arch dvd, build-depends and the GPL

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:36:33AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
>> For example the DVD contains the package "atl2-modules-2.6.26-1-486"
>> which is built by the "linux-modules-extra-2.6" source package but the
>> source seems to be taken from the "atl2-source" package.

Ah, right. Now I understand where you're coming from. Thanks for
clarifying!

>That's a valid concern. However, I do not think including _all_ build
>dependencies for all packages is the correct solution. That would be
>overkill and only _reduce_ the usability of the image by forcing off
>regular packages.
>
>The correct solution seems to me to extend the info in Sources by adding a
>new field that contains a list of "other source packages required for GPL
>compliance" in such cases.
>
>debian-cd could then parse that info and include only actually needed
>packages. It would be great if you could work on working that out and
>formulating a proposal on debian-devel for it.

Yup, absolutely. For these packages at the moment, I would be
surprised if the main Debian archive covers all the corner cases, let
alone CD building.

Who needs computer imagery when you've got Brian Blessed?