Re: debimg 0.0.4 released

DISTRIBUTION OF DEBIMG TEMPORARILY STOPPED.
MAY BE CONTINUED IN A CORRECT WAY LATER.

Am Mittwoch, den 10.09.2008, 11:38 +0200 schrieb Daniel Baumann:
> since you did not care to reply to my previous mail[0] yet, I do hereby
I'm sorry about this. But I was busy the last days.

> once again inform you that you are still violating the GPL2, clause 3,
> and do remind you to take the required actions to resolv the situation.
For now, I removed public access to the tarballs and the git repository.

> As you can see, the version you are embedding in debimg_0.0.1.tar.gz
> does not come from Debian.
This version was mistakenly taken from the Ubuntu package.

> [...]As already said, the Debian policy does not apply to debimg since it is
> an unofficial package not included and not distributed within the Debian
> distribution. Regardless, you have to comply to the upstream license.
I will not distribute stuff violating the Debian policy and have
therefore removed public access to them.

> [...] However, you cannot distribute the debian sources under GPL3, since
> everything before version 3.70+dfsg-1 has licensed its debian/* under
> GPL2 only, not GPL2+. [...]
In my opinion the copyright file provided with the package does not
specify a specific license version. Instead, it is "licensed under the
GPL", which means version 1, 2 or 3. Simply referring to a specific file
name is in my eyes no legally correct restriction. Using
machine-interpretable copyright can help.

Since the syslinux source code is licensed under GPL-2+, the resulting
binary is GPL-2+.

"The Debian packaging is (C) 2006-2008, Daniel Baumann
<daniel@debian.org> and is licensed under the GPL,
see /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2."

--
Julian Andres Klode
 Debian Maintainer, Ubuntu Member, Fellow of FSFE,