Re: What is suitable Debian Linux OS version for my PC

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 02:37:06 -0500
Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

> I recommend the AMD64 "Lenny" install.  Lenny is the code name for the
> "testing" version of Debian; however, it is very mature, and is nearing
> a "freeze", prior to becoming version 5.0 of Debian.

Lenny is already frozen. The proposed (but not very realistic) release
date is beginning of september 2008. That should be now.

> It is fairly simple to install it, it has a weekly build available on CD
> or DVD.
>
> It is also fairly simple to keep it updated.
>
> It is not trivial to upgrade from x86 to AMD64, and AMD64 is the wave of
> the future.

Hm, if there is a big need, some day, there will be something like
aptitude arch-update amd64 && aptitude arch-upgrade. Or just a simple
transition package.

Dirk.