Re: excess secondary CD/DVD image downloading

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 22:23:19 +0200
Josip Rodin <joy@entuzijast.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A noticable number of people appear to be hoarding our CD/DVD images.
> More importantly, my mirror server logs show that many people keep
> downloading files past the first image. For example last month I've
> had 257 distinct IPs fetching first image files, and yet 95 were also
> fetching second or later image files. 27% of people are supposed to
> have an actual need for other images, even though they have such a
> quality Internet access that they can download CD/DVD image files in
> the first place? That's really unlikely.

I downloaded all the CD images for Etch when I installed it on a laptop
for someone who doesn't have internet access (and might be able to get
dialup) and who I won't be get the computer from to install new
software if they need it or if they hose the system (I created
instruction and post-install script that should make it possible for
them to reinstall the system from scratch without a network connection
if necessary). I installed packages from all but one or two of the CD's.
Of course fewer CD's would be necessary for such a case if the order of
packages was more sane, but AFAIK it's based on popcon so it's as good
as it's likely to get.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore