Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

Sorry for breaking threads, I am not subscribed. So please cc.

I am speaking as a mere user.

It is often suggested to reduce some form of availability to only the
first n of all images. I do not find that convincing. Generally, I
install only the stuff I find useful, which is a scarce subset of all
packages. But this subset is well-spread across the full set of disks.
I really did need all three CDs of potato, all nine CDs of woody (that
was including non-free), probably [0] all fourteen CDs of sarge and
all three DVDs of etch. Concerning the latter, I admittedly used only
one of the three _source_ DVDs so far, by I definitely want to have
the source of every package I use available.

Having low bandwidth, I buy the discs from a vendor. And in order to
safeguard against manipulations made by the vendor, there has to be a
well-defined place where the disc image is available [1].

So please, keep making all images available. On the other hand, I have
no opinion as to which portion thereof should be mirrored.

Best regards,

  Mark Weyer

[0] I did not check exactly, because I had sarge installed only for a
    brief time, but I did use CD number fourteen.

[1] So that I can be sure which image a faithful vendor would have
    used and check the hash of the image that was actually put onto
    the disc. See also Bug #420716.