Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Richard Atterer wrote:

[Followups set to debian-cd]

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:32:29AM +0100, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
It would also be useful for me who runs the main cd torrent seeder in
that I could just have an up-to-date debian archive and snapshot (minor
rsync update), instead of syncing 300+ gigs of data before all the seeds
are started up.

Are you concerned about increased seek times, Matthias? IIRC people like
Attila Nagy mentioned from time to time that jigdo thrashed their disks a
bit more than regular .iso downloads.

Yes, that is one concern. On the server side a plain iso download puts much less load on the system. On the other hand, shipping hundreds of gigs around to mirrors puts quite alot of load too.

So I think we should keep the plain http downloads for the useful/popular set (netinst, i386/amd64 dvd isos and lower number cd isos, perhaps CD1/DVD1 for other arches that can boot from CD/DVD), the rest can probably be dropped from the mirrors. They can still be carried by cdimage.d.o/cdimage just like oldstable isos etc, but no need for putting them into the mirrored directory.

/Mattias Wadenstein